October 28, 2010

{diy fabric cake stand}

Hello! I'm really excited about this next project. The only bad thing is that I didn't take pictures along the way to give you all a tutorial. Boo. I'll have to do another one and let you all see the process. 

Cake stands are expensive! But it turns out they don't have to be. In fact this one cost me less than three dollars (considering I already had the fabric and Mod Podge). 

I picked up two small plates at the thrift store for .99 cents and .79 cents, and the crystal piece in the middle, thats a candle stick and it cost me .99 cents as well. The bottom plate is slightly larger than the top plate, as I wanted the tiered effect. 

Basically the method was: I cut my fabric to size and used hard coat Mod Podge to adhere it to the plate. Then I used really really really strong glue to attach the crystal candle stick to both plates (turned upside down, this means the bottom of the candlestick is glued to the bottom of the top plate). 

I let the glue cure overnight, and there you have yourself the cutest cupcake/whatever you'd like it to be stand. (I'm not 100% sure if Mod Podge is non toxic, so use caution when placing food directly in contact with the plate's surfaces). I'll be using this one as part of my table display to hold hair clips at an upcoming boutique. It would also be darling as a catch all for jewelry. The possibilities for fabric combos and themes are really endless with this project. And they are so cheap to make that they'd be great additions to parties. Say...Alice in Wonderland?

No comments:

Post a Comment